A die is a part located at the exit of the extruder with one or several openings where the material being processed comes through under pressure. The geometry of dies is defined by process parameters: raw material, recipe, throughput, product dimensions, etc. The role of the die is to shape products in different sizes and structures. They can be designed differently according to the characteristics of the product being processed.
Functions of the die in twin screw extrusion process
- To give the product the required shape and size
- For example, the multigrain chips kit can add waves to the product or enable several simultaneous outputs
- The Chipstik kit makes it possible to make a rectangular product (crispy fry) with several simultaneous outputs
- To give the product a specific structure
- Snacks and expanded cereals
- Aroma encapsulation textured proteins
- To stuff the product using a die designed to combine expanded material and the filling. The co-extrusion kit makes it possible to have several simultaneous outputs (1 to 12 depending on the size of the extrudeur). Thus, it is possible to produce small filled cushion-shaped cereals or bigger filled crispy breads on the same line. Learn more about the co-extrusion process.
- To color products using a bi-coloring kit, which means it is possible to make products with different shapes and/or colors with several simultaneous outputs (different shapes with the same color or two different colors).
Advantages of Clextral dies
- Choice of a complete range of dies adapted to the specifications of the lines or the products being processed
- High technical precision designed to optimize output of extruded products
- Wide range of dimensions and shapes
- The possibility of developing custom-made dies to make specific products with trials on testing stations for validation of the process.
- Easy to use, ergonomic and safe for operators, with secured equipment upstream and downstream
- Hygienic and easy to clean, without any retention areas
- Simple maintenance, with the possibility of evacuating the product by aspiration or gravity