Composite compounds are thermoplastic or thermosetting resin, reinforced with fillers or fibers. The combination of these two components produces lighter materials with greater mechanical resistance. These materials are used in a wide range of applications: road, air, sea and rail transport, construction, sports, leisure products, etc. Twin-screw extrusion technology is particularly well suited to make these complex composites. Clextral supplies systems to major chemical companies and is involved in advanced R&D.
Glass and carbon fibers are the most commonly used materials in composite compounds because they significantly improve the mechanical properties of thermoplastics. Natural fibers are increasingly used because they are efficient reinforcements, and also because they are recyclable or more environmentally friendly.
In this area, Clextral is leveraging its expertise in the handling of lignocellulose fibers and the production of Long Fiber Thermoplastics (LFT), working closely with private and public R&D centers to design new composite extrusion processes and develop new biomaterials and materials reinforced with glass fibers or synthetics.
In this area, CLEXTRAL leverages its expertise in the treatment of lignocellulosic fibers and the production of Long Fiber Thermoplastics and glass-fiber or synthetic-fiber reinforced materials.
Innovative processes, product designs, prototyping, pre-industrial trials, scaling up can all be done independently and confidentially in Clextral facilities.
Clextral twin-screw extrusion processing features
Clextral twin-screw extrusion lines offer major advantages for extrusion processing of composite compounds :
- Optimum quality and flexibility, with the ability to use a wide range of raw materials and perform appropriate processes
- Variable shapes, densities, viscosity, etc.
- Optimized degassing and easy addition of fillers, fibers, pigments, reagents, etc.
- Minimized thermal degradation, controlled viscous dissipation, short contact times to protect heat-sensitive materials
- Dedicated screw profiles, ensuring mixing quality
- High torque levels for efficient shearing and homogeneous mixing
- Easy access to screws and other parts, reducing changeover time between batches
- Self-cleaning screws to facilitate maintenance and fiber changes.
- Very accurate screw surface machining, to prevent infiltration of materials between screw sections