Fibrated Proteins products are a new range of finished products made with vegetable proteins. These products have been developed by Clextral in the late 90’s in partnership with food processors and food research centers. The demand for this range of products is growing as consumers seek healthy and tasty alternatives to meat. Fibrated protein products are either used as ingredients for vegeterian or vegan dishes (meat substitutes or meat analogs) or prepared for ready-to-eat prepared meals. Extruded fibrous proteins which are the base for these “Fibrated protein products” are vegetable proteins that are cholesterol-free, low in fat, high in protein and fiber content, and rich in nutrients. They are directly extracted from plants such as soya, cereals,pulses (peas, beans, lentils, lupine), sunflower or even insects or mycoproteins. They can also integrate fish or meat-based raw materials for animal consumption.
How are fibrated proteins made?
Plant-based or animal raw ingredients which are rich in proteins with up to 70% dry content are mixed in a dry or wet mixer. The mix is then conveyed or pumped to a twin-screw extruder where it is thermo-mechanically processed at temperatures above 140° C and under high level of moisture content (60 to 80%).
This process is also known today as HMEC, High Moisture Extrusion Cooking. Fibration or texturization is finalized in a long cooling die. The fibrated materials produced using the twin-screw extrusion technology are post-processed into cubes, slices, shredded pieces. They can be also marinated and spiced.
They can be sold as is or incorporated into ready-to-eat meals to create fibrated protein Products such as vegetarian or vegan hams, sausages, burgers, egg rolls, samosas, fish fingers, steak sticks or well-balanced entrees.
Sustainable technology & experience
The advantages of the Clextral solution using twin-screw extrusion to produce Meat Analogs:
- Expertise : Over 25 years experience in proteins fibration by twin screw extrusion technology : we pioneered the High Moisture Extrusion Cooking (HMEC)
- Expertise in die technology for optimized texturization and shaping to make sophisticated fibrous products
- Extrusion and product expertise to design a full range of protein products and multiple recipes in our testing facilities
- Environment- friendly : the fibrated protein products carbon footprint is much lower compared to meat (12% less than chicken, 95% less than beef) or even to other meat substitutes.
- Food safety : the characteristics of the process ensure strict microbiological control of the product (heat treatment).
- Quality : the parameters can be adapted in order to obtain a product a specific color, texture, ﬁbration characteristics, and shape. Once these criteria have been deﬁned, they remain constant during production.
- Functionality : the formulation and the process ensure excellent water retention, even during post-treatment operations.
- Cost: the overall process makes it possible to achieve a very competitive cost for the ﬁnished product, depending on the recipe, with the cost of the raw materials constituting 60% of the total cost.
- Variable output capacities, from10 kg/h to 600 kg/h
Did you know?
It takes 2 to 15kg of vegetable feed to produce 1 kg of animal protein. 40 to 50% of the world’s cereal production is used to feed animals. Novel protein products made with plant-based proteins are therefore an essential component in feeding the growing population of the earth and in reducing our carbon footprint