Creating value with recycled and reprocessed plastic wastes began in the 1990s. Demand for recycled materials has continued to grow since then, spurred on by environmental concerns, to upgrade plastic wastes and to allow industrial manufacturers to manufacture high-performance materials. Twin-screw extrusion technology is ideally suited to process recycled plastics that comply with the highest Sustainable Development standards. Clextral has developed innovative systems to efficiently and cost-effectively produce a wide range of recycled and reprocessed plastic compounds.
Twin-screw extrusion for plastic recycling can be achieved in a number of ways:
- Adding fillers, fibers, pigments, etc.
- Chemical recycling
A wide range of reprocessed materials can be used to produce automotive parts, hollow parts (tanks, containers, etc.), films, chemicals, etc. Recycled plastics include a wide range of products, such as PP from car batteries (talc supplement, CaCO3), PET bottles, nylon fibers (fiberglass supplement), PET chemical recycling, PE films, crushed PS and PP.
Clextral twin-screw process features
Clextral twin-screw processes offer major advantages to produce recycled and reprocessed plastics:
- Optimum product quality and process flexibility
- Continuous and efficient feed of low density products followed by mixing, blending, and possibly chemical reactions
- Controlled melting, cooling, forming and degassing, including high initial water content raw materials
- Convenient incorporation of fillers, fibers, pigments, etc. to create value added products
- Dedicated screw profiles, ensuring mixing quality
Clextral also offers its expertise and in-house facilities to enable plastic manufacturers to develop and test new concepts and improve processing of recycled materials.
Learn more about plastics processing lines